1. Remove photos of pets from the walls, shelves, or refrigerators.
2. Clean food and water bowls regularly, and hide them when not in use.
3. Stash away pet toys, crates, carriers, and leashes.
4. Vacuum carpets, upholstery, and wood floors.
5. Keep litter boxes clean and out of sight, and remove signs of doggy potty pads.
6. Open windows to let in fresh air.
7. Neutralize odors with fresh-smelling candles and air sanitizers.
8. Hire professionals to remove unsightly pet stains.
9. Board or crate animals during open houses.
10. Repair visible signs of pet damage, such as scratched walls or floors.
Source: Newsday, Aimee Fitzpatrick Martin (12/29/06)