The Carefree Model is one of the most popular models in the Parkridge IV and V subdivisions.
- Builder: Continental Homes
- Bedrooms / Bathrooms: 4 / 2 (with an option for the 4th bedroom to be a den)
- Square Feet: 1,968
- Parking: 2 Car Garage
- Transactions: 7 Carefree Models sold in 2006* (I personally sold 3 of them!) *in Parkridge, according to a search pulled from the MLS.
- Front room (living room & dining room) is larger than average.
- Kitchen & Family Room are the center piece of the home. The Family Room is huge, yet inviting, and opens very nicely to the kitchen. This is the room that sells most families on this home.
- Master Bedroom is again very large, with a great bathroom set up and a larger-than-average walk in closet.
- Light and Windows – it's easy to keep the house light & bright, with lots of natural light streaming through windows.
- Guest Bathroom is larger and more comfortable than average.
- Den – the optional den adds a set of double doors to the front rooms (living & dining), which opens the floorplan up even more.
- Attic – while the storage space in the Carefree is about average, there is a very large, unused portion of the attic above the garage. The builder did not provide an entrance into this space, but many homeowners have created their own.
- Bedrooms 2, 3, and 4 are on the smaller end of the scale, measuring 10x10. Anyone larger than a child is going to have to be creative about using the bedroom space wisely (see my How to make small rooms bigger article). It's obvious that this home was built with the common areas as the most important parts of the house.
- Backyard: This home has the largest footprint in the subdivision, which means that all lots being equal, this home will have the smallest backyard.
- House Divided / Hallway: The home is divided in half, with the common areas on one side and the bedrooms on the other. The master is easily accessed through double doors from the common area. This again leaves the secondary bedrooms as less important, accessible either through the garage entrance or by walking down a rather long hallway.
- Laundry Room is fairly small, but serviceable. The problem is that the doors on both sides open inward – one from the garage and one from the hallway, which can make it inconvenient at times, particularly if one person is doing laundry when the other person is trying to come in from the garage.
- It's easy to see why people like this home. It has a lot of usable space, and it flows nicely. There are plenty of windows, and the common rooms can be configured to most people's liking. All else being equal (and I realize all things are never equal), this home provides a good value and a great use of the 1,968 square feet.
- I try to rate the various models by considering the home and its price range, but without regards to subdivision or lot size. I rate on a scale from 1 to 10.
- Overall Rating: 8
The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. I welcome, and would love to hear, any additional feedback regarding this model – whether you agree or disagree, or have something new to add.
- Chris Butterworth
[tags] Continental Homes, Carefree Model, Parkridge, model review [/tags]