This is my favorite time of year; it’s hot outside during the days, yet it still cools down beautifully at night. Unfortunately, that doesn’t provide much relief to an un-watered plant, or an out-of-tune air conditioner. If your home isn’t ready for the heat now, it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better! Here are some ideas to help you get ready for summer:
- A/C Unit - This one seems obvious, but every year I hear from people in July asking me for a good referral. Go ahead and get your unit serviced now, before it has to start working overtime!
- Sprinkler System - Remember to change your timer settings, since your plants will require more water in the hot summer months. This is also a great time to check your sprinkler heads, drip flags, and valves for leaks - no sense watering the sidewalk this summer!
- Landscaping - If you haven’t already trimmed back your trees and shrubs after last winter’s frost, now’s the time. You’ll also want to get the upper hand on any weeds that are looking for a friendly place to grow; if you wait too long you’ll be fighting them all summer! I’ve found Weed-B-Gone to work well in the lawn, and Roundup works well in the gravel. Or there’s the tried and true method of picking them by hand...
- Rain Gutters - Not too many of our homes have them, but those that do want to make it a point to clean them out after all the storms we’ve had in the last few months.
- Weather Stripping - Make sure you have a good seal around your windows and doors. Leaving a gap here is the equivalent of leaving the door wide open when you were a kid - “Are you trying to cool the outside!?”
- Pest Control - The bugs have been dormant all winter, but they’re coming out now. If you don’t have a regular treatment plan set up, or if your plan was dormant this winter as well, now’s the time to get back into action.
- Water Sealant - Your house wants sunscreen, too! Go ahead and apply a coat of water sealant to the wood gates and fences; it’ll help protect from the sun and the monsoons.
It’s your home - you want to make the most of it. Preparing your home for the heat will go a long way towards helping you enjoy your home all summer long!
-The Butterworth Group